Legacy: Howard Hall

Then

Howard Hall is a 16-room Victorian mansion that was completed in 1869. It was originally the residence of Gen. Oliver Otis Howard, who was instrumental in the founding of the University that bears his name. Gen. Howard served as the third president of the University, from 1869 to 1874.

This residence was one of four original campus buildings, and is the only one that has survived. It has been used for various University functions, including a dormitory, School of Music facility and office space, since it was added to the University’s building inventory. The University purchased the house in 1909 after the General’s death. In 1974, the building was designated as a national historic landmark after having been found to possess national significance in commemorating the history of the United States. This designation automatically placed the property on the National Register of Historic Places.


Now

Howard Hall has been vacant since it was closed in 1988, due to severe deterioration. Complete historic restoration of the building began in 1996. The building was returned to its 19th century condition in 1998. At that time, the restored building was slated to become the National Alumni Center and a major venue for small social activities.

Categories: 

Issue: 

Share: 

“Connecting You to HU” is our goal. Howard alumni truly define this university and reinforce the powerful legacy that is our alma mater.